Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Day 9: OWP and the Musings of a Reflective Observer

Embracing the multi-genre element of the blog and bowing to the craft, humor, and metaphorical vehicles which have come before me, I’ve chosen to summarize a different facet of yesterday’s class.

In life, I take notes and write exercises in order for my brain to consume the learning; revision:  I take notes and write exercises in the hope that my brain will consume the learning.  It is really my heart which remembers.  So, as an homage to Sasha and her Gratitude List with which she began our “camp,” (and set the spirit-tone) the following is merely a scattering of the gifts offered yesterday.

(John, invited himself to paused to recoup)

Amy W., invited us to pause and reconsider

Inviting a gadfly:
“What makes you feel sad, mad… feel something?”

Deflecting her humor:
“Just ignore [my] sarcastic undertones.”

Celebrating creativity:
“Just picture an elephant doing yoga.”

Nancy, invited us to pause and think

On “most chicks”:
“I’m better than a dirty throng.”

Finding a place for poetic contradictions:
“Like Blake’s ‘necessary contradictions.’”
                           http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/45315

On her elocutive elephant:
[quote too dense to scribe, but hilarious]

Kim, invited us to pause and motivate

Her solution to a pet peeve:
“I wrote a letter to my roommate on how to make ice.”

Her kind-hearted teacher reflection on the LPAs”
“There’s nothing in here for [my students] to write for fun!”

As she moved us forward in her demo lesson on comics:
“I’m curious…”
“I’m curious…”
“I’m curious…”
“I’m curious…”
“I’m curious…”

And her conclusion:
“Pictures drive text.”

Heather, invited us to pause and ask

After examining our peeves:
“I’m pumped UP!”

Looking to make sense of Carrie’s controversial photo:
“It’s what we infer.”

And her solution:
“For me, I don’t really say good or bad.  I just have some questions.”

Cindy, invited us to pause and feel

After Carrie’s brave lesson:
“Aho”

On the baby’s photo:
“I love the intent in the gaze.  They are connected and I think that connection is beautiful.”

On Carrie’s decision to post questions vs. objectives:
“Ahhh- WOW!”

And constantly throughout Kim’s lesson:
“Right!” and “I like it!”

Audra, invited us to pause and look forward

On revision:
“This is the process of being a teacher of writing. [Savor] the process and save all drafts.  Show students how messy real writing is.”

Regarding automatic sinks:
“A first world problem; try not having water.”

On the jogger:
“I’m going to cry.”

And quoting UpWorthy:
“Composition can be more than words on the page.”

Margaret, invited us to pause and come together

Inside the learning process:
“What’s the difference there?  [Don’t answer] Just park that.”

On challenges:
“It’s a reach for all of us.  We’re all getting our minds… our hearts around all of this.”

An argument’s breadth:
“If reasonable people can disagree, then it is a good argument.”

Celebrating Kim’s activity:
“Let’s do it!”

Jeanne, invited us to pause and consider (Occam’s Razor)

On the photo discussion:
“It needs to be something familiar.”

The comic strip is:
“A chapter”

Interpreting the images:
“We needed to tell the story backwards.”

Carrie, invited us to pause and react

With hands open, offered her history:
 “That comes from my family’s language.”
                  Tanizi, hello
                  Aho, amen or I agree

On her authority:
“I come from, I think, a place of honesty and expertise.”

Teaching argument:
“We’re empowering kids to speak out and have an opinion.”

On the disenfranchised:
“We must unite in our infirmities against those who seek our extension.”

“… join me, will you?”

Sasha, invited us to pause and keep going
On OWP:
“I’ve renamed it Writing Boot Camp.”

On blogging:
“[It’s hard] having to put it out in the world to be read by anyone.”

On the work this week:
“I just have to tackle [writing] like I’m going to tackle this messy house, by tidying up one small corner at a time.”

After Amy’s arm-up:
“I want to write more!”

Encouraging the demo lesson:
“Carry-on, Carrie!”

And a final pause to consider our slogan options, thus far:

Let’s get write to the essence!

Writing… source for language come alive!

Rewriting is like rearranging the furniture.
(sorry, I could not add clever marks)

Writing is messy!

To Funny!              The pen: mightier than the sword!

And with that, I gently lay down my pen.  Thank you all for these jewels.







No comments:

Post a Comment